Sunday, October 4, 2009

Stuff You Should Hear - Part 2

This week I decided to do another installment of Stuff You Should Hear, making this part 2.

For the first song I am taking a different direction from what I normally listen to with "Time to Get Away" by LCD Soundsystem. In my opinion, LCD Soundsystem is the white guy equivalent of rap, Not at all saying that it is rap, it just sort of reminds me of it in a way. By all means, I shouldn't even know about LCD Soundsystem, I sort of found them by accident. I was at the library one day looking for some new music, and I came across this CD that judging by the album cover, look pretty interesting. On the way back home I popped it in and I wasn't too impressed. A few months later I started my pizza delivery job at Rocky Rococo's. I spend most of my work day driving around listening to music. I ran out pretty fast. One day out of desperation I put in this album, hoping that I was wrong with my first impressions, I was. This music is really fun to listen to and you can't help but dance a little to it. If you like this, check out some of their other songs like "North American Scum" (which you might recognize) or "Get Innocuous!"

For track two, I am going with "Evil" by Interpol. They are the band that I am listening to right now, so I would get used to hearing a bit of them for a while. The first time I heard this song was when I was watching the music video, which is very weird. You have to watch it for yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNtGYdm2rOY
One of the things I like about Interpol is their odd lyrics. The words of most songs are very similar in their structure and I like that they have their own thing going on.

The next song is "Eyes on Fire" by Blue Foundation. Unfortunatly, this song is on the Twilight soundtrack and I heard it because my Mom bought it. In my opinion, this song alone is better then the whole movie. I really think it's a very well done song. As you already know, I really like it when a band sounds different from the normal stuff that comes out, and this does that. One of the coolest parts is at the beginning of the song when starts out really soft and the first line in the song is "I seek you out, fillet you alive." It's humorous because you expect something like a love song, and it's really about killing. My absolute favorite part is the drum solo towards the end of the song. It really ties it all together. I try to forget that this song was on twilight every time I listen to it...

Number four is a really cool song by The Black Keys called "Aeroplane Blues." When you first hear this, it sounds like a recording from the 60's, but it was recorded 5 years ago. The coolest part is that the album it is on is called "Rubber Factory" because the band rented out the floor of a Rubber Factory to record the whole album themselves. Doing some self-produced stuff myself, I really admire when a band does it and it sounds as good as this does.

The next song is by Silversun Pickups and is called "Panic Switch." The main thing you have to get over when listening to these guys is that the lead singer is actually a guy. When you hear it, you'll understand why that is a little surprising. This song is really cool because it follows the classic grunge rule "loud, soft, loud, soft" meaning it isn't always loud or soft, it goes between the two, helping to giving the song depth.

For the last song, I am choosing "Shut Your Eyes" by Snow Patrol. I hadn't listened too much of these guys before I saw them live when they opened for U2 in Chicago. I really love the simple rhythm guitar part that is consistent through the whole song. It was really cool to hear everyone in Soldier Field singing along with the main line to the song "Shut your eyes and sing to me." It really feels like the song was designed for that purpose. The only thing that I would change is the very quick ending to the song. It feels like they copped out on that part to me. Other than that, great song.

3 comments: